10 Things I Learned in 2011 Part 1

2011 was a great year. It was without question the fastest moving year of my life! I still can’t believe that another year has...



2011 was a great year. It was without question the fastest moving year of my life! I still can’t believe that another year has come and gone! This year has also pushed me as leader like no other. Between all the traveling, the craziest summer of my life, and other day-to-day stuff I really found out a lot about myself!

So I thought I would share the 10 biggest things I learned this year! Now some of this I learned for the first time this year. Some of it I was just reminded of this year! But either way here are the top 10 lessons / reminders of 2011

Because of the fact that there are 10 I’m going to do 2 posts. So here is part 1!

Margin is Created not Given – Soo many times this year I remember thinking “if things would just slow down.” Or “when things get back to normal I will be ok.” Then one day it occurred to me. My time is MY time!! And the only person that can control it is me! If I want margin in my life then I have to create it. If I want extra time then I have to give myself extra time!

Leaders want to Lead – One of the hardest truths for me to remember sometimes is that leaders don’t just want things to do, but they want to be able to take ownership and lead in an area. The opportunity to lead is so much greater than the chance to do things. Step back and create boundaries for your team. Then let them lead. So they can put their stamp on it.

Your only as Good as your Team – There was a point during this summer where I was only in the office 1 day in a 7 week period of time! If it weren’t for my team I wouldn’t have survived it. They stepped in and carried the load for me when I hit season that I wasn’t prepared for. Through that I was reminded that my team is what will make or break me. Luckily the team I serve with makes me look good constantly. 

Teach Intentionally – Replacing yourself is one of the most important things we do as leaders. All to often I am guilty of forgetting to TEACH the leaders I serve with even the little things that I do. Information is power to adults. And the more they know and understand the more confident they feel to accomplish and to lead!

Family First – In a year where it felt like I was gone more than I was here. I was reminded of the ever so important truth that my family has to come first. And that my time with them has to be intentional! My family is the most important thing in my life. And at times I can’t take that for granted. I have to have the discipline to make sure my actions show that my family is the priority.

Check back tomorrow to see my last 5!    

You Might Also Like

0 comments