Transition Part 2

Yesterday I picked up blogging for the first time in a little over 3 months. I had taken a much need break to get my head...




Yesterday I picked up blogging for the first time in a little over 3 months. I had taken a much need break to get my head straight! To read more about that you can go HERE!

Yesterday I said that I was going to touch on a few things that I have learned or been reminded of during this time. I wont lie to you and act like the last months have been easy. I will not lie and act like the past few months have been full exciting jam-packed learning! But like in all situations in life we learn things. Some have been for the very first time. And some have just set in like never before. Some were reminders that I had definitely forgotten.

Either way, here it is! In no particular order of importance! These are just the four on the forefront of my mind.

Priorities Matter – Here is something I know about everyone… We all have priorities whether we set them on purpose or not! And what you do will determine them. If you don’t have intentional priorities set then they will set themselves. Sometimes we don’t mean to allow the wrong things to become a priority but we get distracted and we lack real accountability and before we know it everything is out of whack and we don’t even realize it. Set your priorities and have some people close hold you accountable to make sure that you are keeping them. Don’t let life set your priorities. You set them and then spend your time accordingly!


Rest has to be Intentional – So here’s a secret . . . I am sorta almost completely a workaholic! It has always been a struggle for me. I have always had a problem biting off more than I can chew! Put me in a situation like ministry where I absolutely love my job and love everything I do and it can be a recipe for disaster. I had been going so hard for so long I didn’t even know I was tired! I had been operating with no energy for so long I just thought the way I felt was normal. The sad part is my church gave me 4 weeks of vacation every year. And not limit on sick time. I could have and was encouraged to take that time off. But I was stubborn. And thought it was weak to need rest. What I have learned is not resting eventually exposed my true weakness! Make sure you intentionally rest and rest often! It is more important then you know! Make time to take it easy. Make it one of your priorities!

Get Real – One of my problems in life is that I put way too much value on perception! And because of that I tend to allow that to determine what I tell people and what I don’t! I wasn’t being real with anyone in my life. It has taken a lot of time for me to really understand the importance of getting real with the people closest to me. No fakeness no pretending. Just real. The people that know you the best are the same people that will be able to tell when something is really going inside of you. Holding everyone at arms length is a recipe for no one to really ever know you and how you tick. Do yourself a favor and get real with some people who love you! You will find that those people don’t think less of you but they celebrate with you for what God is doing in you!

Pursue God – I know that seems a little silly to say. But my pursuit of my own personal relationship with God had all but disappeared. My belief in God had almost become completely contingent on my job. I’m really embarrassed to admit that. But it’s true. I approached the bible as book to preach from and not the word of God that changes me. Just because we preach the bible doesn’t mean that we pursue the God we serve! It is an important distinction for us to make. And it is a very easy thing to forget as we get wrapped up in the day-to-day life of serving the church. At least it was for me. Pursue God first and trust him to take care of the results. Don’t get it mixed up!

That’s it for now. For those of you that read my blog you know that I often write out of my own experiences. So I am quite confident that over the next weeks and months I will be adding to this list. And talking a lot about it.

Thanks for reading! 

You Might Also Like

0 comments