Take Some Time

When it comes to crazy times of year I almost always forget to rest. Or better yet I choose not to. I allow myself to get over ...


When it comes to crazy times of year I almost always forget to rest. Or better yet I choose not to. I allow myself to get over extended and I don’t remember the big picture! I become concerned with getting the tasks done and not remembering how important it is to take some time for myself so that I can be refreshed. Because when I am refreshed I am in the best place to lead my team!
If I was going to make a guess I would be willing to bet that I am not the only one who deals with this struggle. We are all familiar with the ole adage Sunday is always coming! Or Wednesday is always coming or in some cases both!! And it gets hard between all the different seasons of the year to remember to take some time to refresh and recharge!
One of the biggest truths in leadership is that if you truly want to be effective you have to be purposeful when it comes to rest
3 reasons to Take Some Time
Pour in Pour Out – you can’t pour out from an empty cup. You have to be intentional to step away and fill up. My mentor tells me that I should spend an hour a day doing something that fills me up and engages my mind! I completely agree! It is more important for you, your family, and the people you lead that you are the best version of you. That doesn’t mean that you wont have seasons where things are out of control and you get tired and empty. But putting up some boundaries in your life now makes the times that happens few and far between!
Change of Place + Change of Pace = Fresh perspective – this really goes without a ton of explanation. Sometimes the very thing you brain needs to get some fresh thoughts and to see things a little more clearly is for you to get out of the pattern of what you do for just a minute. I know sometime the missing piece to a talk I am working on or a problem that I need to solve comes to me when I step away from my typical place and change things up a little.
You Set the Tone – If you are a leader than you set the tone for someone. If you have a family then you set the tone for them. A lot of what you will be known for as a leader will not be the things you said. It will be the way you actually lived. Rest and time away have to really matter to you. Because if they do then that will communicate to the people you lead in whatever context that may be that it should, at least on a basic level, matter to them!
What would you add to my list?

You Might Also Like

0 comments